The Department of Archaeology at York is looking to appoint a lithic microwear specialist with a good knowledge of technology and basic geology. The role requires demonstrable experience in microwear analysis of lithic assemblages via publication and/or other relevant research outputs along with expertise in low and high power microscopy, including use of imaging software for micrographs. As well as excellent analytical skills, the role holder will be able to manage large relational datasets and have the ability to interpret and contextualise their results within broader archaeological debates.
The post will involve substantial independent travel to Russia and Latvia to analyse material held in local collections. It is essential that you are willing and able to undertake this travel.
Skills, Experience & Qualification needed
- First degree and PhD in Archaeology/Anthropology or equivalent experience
- Knowledge in lithic microwear analysis and lithic technology including low and high power microscopy and imaging software for micrographs
- Ability to manage large relational datasets and interpret and contextualise results
- Experience of writing up research work for publication
- Highly developed communication skills to engage with a wide ranging audience, both orally and in writing, using a range of media
The deadline for applications is 7 November 2021, and the interview date is 23 November 2021. For further information, please visit the job advertisement.