The Department of Art & Culture, History, and Antiquity of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is seeking to appoint an Assistant Professor (tenure track) in Medieval History. As a member of the Cultural and Religious History Group, the successful applicant will play a central role in teaching our courses on European Medieval History. 30% of working time will be available for research. We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor initially for the duration of 5 years, starting at 1 February 2022. Tenure can be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled.
- a PhD degree in Medieval History
- a proven track record of independent research in Medieval History, with a broad view of political, social, cultural, religious, and intellectual history, including the role of the Middle Ages in later periods of history and historiography, as demonstrated by publications and presentations; a domain expertise which is integrated in long-term historical and multi-disciplinary approaches
- teaching experience in European Medieval History (as evidenced by a list of courses taught and by excellent teaching evaluations) as well as a teaching qualification (BKO/UTQ or similar), or a willingness to obtain such qualification within the first two years of appointment
- the ability to communicate and teach in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
- the ability to communicate and teach in Dutch or willingness to learn Dutch within two years (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
- competence in the use of computational research methods, in addition to traditional scholarship, and willingness to further develop skills in digital history, will be considered a great advantage.
The deadline for applications is 3 November 2021. For further details please visit the job advertisement.